Credit Unions for Kids Wine Auction Raises Over $1 Million for Children's Miracle Network Hospitals for Second Consecutive Year
Dana Point, CA, March 17, 2016 – Organizers of the eleventh annual California and Nevada Credit Unions for Kids Wine Auction have announced that for the second year in a row more than $1 million was raised for the eleven Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals in California and Nevada.
The sold out event, which took place Friday, March 11th, at the Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel in Dana Point, California, drew a record 500 attendees and was supported by more than 85 credit unions, business partners and hospitals.
The California and Nevada Credit Unions for Kids Wine Auction is the largest fundraising event for CMN Hospitals, having raised more than $4.8 million since 2006 for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.
“For the second year in a row we have eclipsed $1 million in donations in support of the eleven Children’s Hospitals in California and Nevada, thanks to the amazing efforts and generosity of our sponsors, donors, and volunteers,” notes Bill Cheney, event chairman and president and CEO of SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union. “We are pleased to be giving back to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals and the children they help in our community.”
With a Diamonds are Forever/James Bond theme, the evening included fine food, dancing, and both silent and live auctions. Attendees had the opportunity to bid on more than 450 gift packages that included bottles of fine wine, premium whiskeys and sakes, travel getaways, and sporting events.
The evening’s very special guest, 9 year old Max Wilford, a former CMN Hospital patient, inspired attendees by sharing how Children’s Hospital of Orange County (CHOC) has changed his life.
When he was just four years old, Max was diagnosed with a rare and unusually aggressive form of a fairly common brain cancer. He had brain surgery at CHOC to partially remove the brain tumor. After five brain surgeries and two chemotherapy protocols, Max also completed 30 radiation treatments in the spring of 2014 at CHOC.
Max has thrived on a therapeutic super-boosted ketogenic diet, and today he's still thriving against the odds and inspiring his community to give nothing but “Maximum Love” (MaxLove Project). This brave 9 year-old loves sports, math, and giving back, and his favorite hobby is cooking -- he wants to be a chef when he grows up. Max has been fortunate to receive care at CHOC, where an integrative approach to cancer treatment is embraced and taken seriously. Max's family credits this innovative approach with his sustained superior quality of life and continued health.
The lead Corporate Sponsors of this year’s event were CU Direct, the California and Nevada Credit Union Leagues, CO-OP Financial Services, and CUNA Mutual Group. As Corporate Sponsors, these organizations paid all overhead costs associated with the auction. As a result of the efforts and contributions of each of these organizations, as well as the event’s other sponsors, 100% of the money raised will directly benefit the eleven Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals in California and Nevada.
The Credit Unions for Kids Wine Auction is directed by an Executive Committee, with at least one credit union CEO representing each of the benefitting hospitals:
- Chairman Bill Cheney, Schools First Federal Credit – Children’s Hospital Orange County
- Jeff York, CoastHills Credit Union – Cottage Children’s Medical Center
- Nader Moghaddam, Financial Partners Credit Union -- Children’s Hospital Orange County
- Geri LaChance, SESLOC Federal Credit Union – Cottage Children’s Medical Center
- Teresa Freeborn, Xceed Financial Credit Union – Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
- Brett Martinez, Redwood Credit Union – UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland
- Darren Williams, Wescom Credit Union – Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
- Shruti Miyashiro, Orange County’s Credit Union – Children’s Hospital Orange County
- Carrie Birkhofer, Bay Federal Credit Union – Salinas Valley Memorial Hospital
- Steve O’Connell, North Island Credit Union – Rady Children’s Hospital San Diego
- Erin Mendez, Patelco Credit Union – UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland
- John Cassidy, Sierra Central Credit Union – UC Davis Children’s Hospital
- Hank Barrett, Valley First Credit Union – Valley Children’s Hospital, Madera
- Steve Renock, Kern Schools Federal Credit Union – Lauren Small Children’s Medical Center, Bakersfield
- Eric Estes, Boulder Dam Credit Union – Dignity Health St. Rose Dominican Hospital Las Vegas and Renown Children’s Hospital, Reno
- Debra Schwartz, Mission Federal Credit Union – Rady Children’s Hospital, San Diego
ABOUT CREDIT UNIONS FOR KIDS AND CHILDREN’S MIRACLE NETWORK HOSPITALS
Credit Unions for Kids is the brand under which America’s credit unions fundraise for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. The collaborative effort, which is driven by a “people helping people” philosophy, includes individual credit unions; local chapters; state leagues/associations; two national trade organizations; business partners and several trade publications.
The program was introduced nationally in 1996 and since that time the credit union movement has raised over $150 million for affiliated children’s hospitals. Annually, credit unions are the third largest “corporate” contributor to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals behind only Wal-Mart and Costco.
The credit union community has established a wonderful legacy at hospitals across the country, funding breakthrough research, numerous programs and services and construction of new facilities. Fundraising activities run the gamut from major events to online giving campaigns to paper balloon icon sales.
For more information on Credit Unions for Kids and Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, please contact Joe Dearborn at (480) 614-9673 or jdearborn@CMNHospitals.org.